Last December I decided that my next boat project would be a model because I am running out of room for boats on trailers, I’ve built six and still have five of them. Links to blogs describing these boats are listed below on the right.

For some time I have been interested in the long deep keel sailing boats epitomised by the Pilot Cutters from the southwest of England. While browsing these boats I came across the first of Leo Goolden's Tally Ho videos and have been watching them since with ever increasing interest.

My interest in Tally Ho led me to choose her for the model. This will be a working radio controlled model, not a display model.

If you would like to contact me please use the contact form below.


Saturday 2 March 2019

Planking All Done

 The planking went fairly quickly to begin with because the planks could be put on without any shaping. Eventually one or both ends of the planks had to be shaped. Even then the process was much easier than it would be on a full size boat. I used clamps of various sorts to hold planks while the epoxy set. Mostly though I used staples put in with a hand powered stapler and then pulled out the next day. Inevitably the stapler picked up some epoxy and I killed one stapler.


The next photo shows the last few planks going in on the port side. The staples are clearly visible. This whole process was very sticky. Applying epoxy to the edges of planks and holding them in position was very messy. Fortunately I don't have any allergic reaction to the type of epoxy I use but it will be a few days before my hands are clean again!


Some cleaning up of the excess epoxy has been done (hot air gun and scraper then sandpaper) and the outside part of the stern post is being glued in place.


The outside part of the keel (below the rabbet line) has been glued on and the light coloured pine piece is the pattern for the lead keel.

The hull is now the right way up.


There is something not quite right about the sheer line above the forward cradle; it seems to bulge up but probably only by a couple of millimetres.



At this stage the inside of the hull is a mess with blobs of squeezed out epoxy along the plank joins and at the frames. I'll have a go at cleaning it up but it will be difficult to get access with a scraper so it isn't going to be perfect. Also. the gaps between planks that didn't get filled with epoxy are no more obvious. Can't use oakum and a calking hammer at 1/10 scale so the whole inside of the hull will get painted with epoxy slightly thickened with filler powder to make it slightly less runny.

1 comment:

  1. You've a nice collection of toys. Nice work on the mini Talley.

    ReplyDelete